Confession: I’ve only ever ice skated a handful of times in my life. But! All of them have been in Jackson Hole, so that counts for something, right? I get asked a lot, “What else is there to do if we don’t ski?”. Many people visiting in the winters like to take a break from skiing or are looking for alternatives to hitting the slopes, especially with kiddos. Luckily, there are a few great options on where to go ice skating in Jackson Hole! Jackson Hole Mountain Resort has the Village Rink on the Commons, right at the base of the resort in the thick of it all. Decked out in twinkling lights, ice skating for après-ski is one of my favorite winter traditions, especially with a hot toddy by the outdoor fire pit.
Pro Tip: Bundle up! When the sun goes down behind the Teton Mountain range, it can drop some major degrees. Make sure to wear extra layers, and snag a seat next to the firepit outside Hotel Terra if need be. I’m not kidding about hot toddies – those bad boys heat you up!
Where to ice skate in Jackson Hole
- Teton Village – Like mentioned above, the Village Rink on the Commons is the place to be in Teton Village. Open daily through mid-March and weather permitting, from 3pm – 9pm | Skate rentals $15.00 or $8.00 with local ID | Skate for FREE with your own skates. More info here.
- Wilson Rink – Directly across from the Wilson School House in downtown Wilson, WY, there is a public ice rink, and probably my favorite one. Run by Teton County Parks & Recs, this is open to the public. Leagues reserve times for the ice so there’s a chance it could be wide open, or taken for the night. BYO-Skates!
- Town Square Rink– Ice skating in the middle of Town Square with all of the sparkling lights, is the kind of a magical moment I highly suggest trying it out. Your kids will love it! You’ll even get an epic shot in front of the Cowboy Bar. Pull up to the Stagecoach stop to rent your skates. Mon – Fri 4:30 – 9:00 pm | Sat & Sun 12:00 – 9:00 pm |Skate rentals $15.00 or $8.00 with a local ID| Skate for FREE with your own skates. More info here.
- Snow King Rink – For those who want to stick to skating at an indoor rink, the Snow King Rink is for you, right at the base of Snow King Resort in the Town of Jackson. Mon – Fri, noon to 2:00 pm | Adults are $8, Kids are $6, Rentals are $5.
- Slide Lake or Jackson Lake – If you are feeling brave, and the weather is just right, venturing out into the wild to ice skate on frozen lakes can be a thrill. Not recommended for anyone who doesn’t know their way around the area and typically the only time to do so is early in the winter season. Skate at your own risk!